Bracelets are created using the finest materials available including genuine Swarovski crystals, semi-precious gemstones, sterling silver beads and components, as well as handmade sterling silver Bali beads.
- Swarovski is the acknowledged producer of the finest quality full-lead cut glass crystals in the world. In addition to their precise edges and angles, Swarovski crystals are renowned for their brilliance and clarity. This comes from the incorporation of lead into the crystal refining process. In terms of overall quality, full lead crystals are simply a cut above other glass crystals.
- Bali Beads are a specialized type of sterling silver bead, characterized by intricate flourishes and delicate, ornate bas-relief work. They are often handmade and are typically imported from Turkey, India, or Bali. Because these items are individually crafted from sterling silver by numerous bead artisans, there may be slight variations in size, form, hole size, and oxidation.
- Sterling Silver jewelry components including silver beads, crimps, clasps, and alphabet beads are made of 92.5% pure sterling silver, and considered the best type of silver for jewelry. Unlike many competitors who try to cut costs by using base metal crimp beads and silver-plated clasps, Bead Bijou chooses only the finest sterling silver components.
- Gold-filled Beads are a mixture of 14k gold and sterling silver, they are NOT gold plated. These beads are preferable to pure 14k for this type of jewelry because 14k gold is a soft metal and can dent when placed next to sterling silver or crystal beads.
- Freshwater Pearls are cultivated in mussels, not oysters, in freshwater lakes and rivers in China, Japan and the United States. Due to their easier cultivation, freshwater pearls offer an affordable alternative to the more expensive and rarer saltwater pearl. A pearl is a natural object and is not designed to be in contact with most manufactured chemicals such as perfume, make-up, skin care products, hair spray or similar compounds. Contact with these items can alter a pearl's luster or color. With this in mind, it's best to make pearls the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off.
Please note that with all semi-precious stones and freshwater pearls there are subtle variations in hue, color saturation, and shape which are naturally occuring. These variations make each piece inherently unique and are not guaranteed to exactly match product photos.
- 49-strand Beadalon® Wire is used in all bracelets, and is made from incredibly fine strands of stainless steel wire with a smooth, kink resistant nylon coating. This beading wire is considered the strongest, most flexible wire available. It is more expensive, but superior for holding its shape and resisting kinks.
If your piece contains silver, remember it is sterling and can tarnish. Tarnishing is a natural process caused by oxidation, and does not damage the silver. Tarnish can easily be removed by rubbing the piece gently with a soft, treated polishing cloth. Polishing cloths may be purchased from Bead Bijou (see below) or from a local jewelry store. Many department stores, including Target, also sell disposable polishing cloths. After polishing, rinse the jewelry with warm water and pat dry with a soft cloth.
Do not use tarnish-removing dips (or creams) on pieces that have decorative oxidation. For example, letter beads and Bali silver beads have oxidation in the grooves. Using dips may remove the tarnish that gives your piece dimension. Never use silver cleaners on pearls as they may lose their luster.
In addition, you should avoid wearing your bracelet while swimming, doing dishes, cleaning with chemicals, or anything else where the jewelry would come into contact with abrasive soaps or chemicals.
Sunshine Polishing Cloth
Soft, easy-to-use polishing cloth, which removes tarnish with special non-scratch micro-abrasives.
Sunshine Polishing Cloth is non-toxic and safely cleans gold, silver, brass, copper, and most other surfaces. It can be used repeatably, until cloth is completely darkened (do not wash).